New Zealanders expect government organisations to manage their energy wisely. Good energy management reduces costs, helps to meet climate change objectives, and demonstrates leadership. When it comes to energy use, these organisations can benefit from the same actions as small and medium businesses.
Government organisations include government departments, district health boards, Crown owned companies, territorial authorities, regional councils, universities, polytechnics, schools and Crown entities.
Government organisations can target energy use through:
- Managing premises
- Buying and operating equipment
- Encouraging staff to be energy efficient
- Managing vehicle use.
There are also opportunities for government organisations to make the most of renewable energy, such as using wood energy or solar energy for swimming pool heating.
Assistance for Government organisations to improve energy efficiency is available through:
- Funding designed specifically for government organisations
- Funding and training relating to commercial buildings (building owners and tanants)
- Funding and training designed for industrial businesses
Organisations may also be eligible for other funding programmes.