Why use wood energy?
The use of wood energy can provide both economic and environmental benefits.
The potential economic benefits of wood energy include:
- Enhanced company brand and reputation through using a renewable form of energy and demonstrating environmental leadership
- Minimises waste and waste management costs (for industry sites using wood residue from operations)
- An increase in New Zealand’s ability to be energy self sufficient through the production and use of wood energy - this benefits the country as a whole
- Cost effectiveness compared to some fossil fuels
- Easy storage (compared to other forms of renewable energy)
In addition, environmental benefits of wood energy result because:
- Wood is a renewable resource and, therefore, a sustainable form of energy
- Wood is carbon neutral, so it doesn’t contribute to the greenhouse effect
- The use of wood as energy reduces potential waste and pollution