Design advice programme
Expert advice is available to help you design and construct commercial buildings that use up to 70% less energy than the average building, through the EECA Business Commercial Building Design Advice Programme.
The best time to lock energy efficiency into your building is during design, construction or major refurbishment. This is when you can maximise opportunities for natural light, improve thermal performance and reduce the costs of lighting, heating and cooling systems.
When it comes to making energy efficient design decisions – getting the right advice is key. Our programme partners can offer expert advice at any stage of your building’s design and construction. And funding may be available for up to 100% of the cost of their advice (conditions apply).
The benefits of energy efficient design
Designing a commercial building to be energy efficient has many advantages for developers, building owners and tenants:
- lower energy costs for tenants or occupiers
- lower overall running costs
- less maintenance needed
- higher occupancy and better returns for owners
- more comfortable environment for occupants
- a building that holds its value longer, with slower depreciation
- meeting growing market demand for energy efficient buildings
How design advice grants work
Our programme partners can help you at one or more of these four stages of building design and construction or during a major refurbishment:
- initial concept for a new building – reviewing your plans and identifying options to improve energy efficiency that can be built into the design
- fit-out design and construction – working with you to ensure energy efficiency features are incorporated into detailed specifications including recommendations for plant and equipment
- commissioning a new building – helping ensure building systems are commissioned for optimal energy efficiency
- assessing energy performance after occupation – reviewing energy use and operation of equipment is in line with the building specifications (within the first 12 months of the building’s occupation) and recommending any needed adjustments
What types of buildings qualify?
If your commercial building is at least 1,000m2 in size you could qualify for the design advice programme. Eligible buildings can include offices, retail outlets, food stores, schools, hospitals or hotels.
If your building is in Christchurch additional assistance is available through the Christchurch Agency for Energy (CAfE), for advice at the initial concept stage.
A minimum size of 500m2 applies for Christchurch buildings.
How do I take part?
The first step to building energy efficiency into your new building or major refurbishment is to talk to one of our programme partners. They can advise you on how we can help with your project and what funding may be available.
More help from EECA
For existing commercial buildings EECA offers expert advice and funding of up to 40% for energy efficiency projects. Read more about Commercial Project grants.
For public sector projects, the EECA Business Crown Loan scheme can help finance energy efficiency or renewable energy projects. Read more about Crown Loans.
EECA Business works with a range of industry specialists to help you access expert advice and funding to unlock the potential for energy efficiency in your business. Use our business support directory to find an expert in your region and sector.