Commercial project grants
Would you like to improve your building's energy use but haven't got the capital? A Commercial Project Grant from EECA may fund up to 40% of the cost of energy efficiency projects - to help get your project 'over the line'.
Energy-efficient buildings cost less to run, hold their value longer, and are more comfortable. Most commercial buildings in New Zealand waste energy needlessly, creating extra cost.
What types of building qualify?
Eligible buildings could include offices, retail outlets, foodstores (e.g. supermarkets), schools, hospitals, hotels - essentially, everything except large industrial sites and residential buildings. There is no minimum size.
What's the benefit?
There are many advantages to energy-efficient buildings. Running costs are lower, leading to better returns and higher occupancy. They are more comfortable to spend time in, and depreciate more slowly than non-efficient buildings. There is a growing awareness of, and demand for, energy efficient environments.
What types of project qualify?
Commercial Project Grants may be used for:
- audit and works - projects to upgrade or replace equipment, e.g. lighting, refrigeration, heating and air conditioning
- continuous commissioning - systems that adjust energy use in your building continuously, in line with demand
- monitoring and targeting - systems that monitor energy use and identify areas for improvement. This may help identify further cost-effective upgrades.
What are the criteria?
Projects must deliver a guaranteed level of cost-effective energy savings. The level of EECA funding will usually be sufficient to ensure the project meets your own investment criteria.
Generally, EECA doesn't fund projects with a payback of less than two years - as we expect businesses to fund these themselves. EECA grants are aimed at getting cost-effective projects ‘over the line' without over-funding.
How do I apply?
EECA has contracted with a number of experienced providers to deliver Commercial Project Grants. They can:
- help work out your building needs
- advise on the type of project/s that will deliver most benefit
- carry out the project.
Other commercial building assistance
EECA offers other business grants to help improve energy use in commercial buildings.
- Energy management grants - help promote and develop energy management within organisations.
- Commercial building design grants - support energy efficiency advice during design / refurbishment.
- Renewable energy - funding may be available for cost-effective fuel-switching projects in commercial buildings.
- Training and resources - EECA's commercial buildings programme includes a range of information, training support and resources.