Technology demonstration projects
If you’re looking to invest in a new or under-utilised energy saving technology or a process improvement opportunity that could also benefit your industry sector, we can help fund the cost to demonstrate its potential.
What's on offer?
Our funding contributes to the cost of demonstrating proven technology or an innovative process improvement opportunity that has yet to be widely adopted in New Zealand. The project may improve energy efficiency and/or reduce carbon emissions. This funding round has a focus on commercial and industrial heat pumps.
If accepted, we’ll pay up to 40% of your project costs, and total EECA funding available per project is generally limited to $100,000. For projects that result in energy and carbon savings through process heat technology or processes, funding can be up to $250,000. Proposals for more than this will be considered in exceptional circumstances and only if the project:
- Is likely to demonstrate significant public benefits resulting in outstanding value for money and
- Cannot be scaled down without significantly affecting the project’s objectives, viability or value for money and
- EECA contribution can be no greater than 40% of the total project cost.
Who should apply
The programme is open to businesses who want to either:
- install energy efficient and/or renewable energy technologies that are provided by EECA registered technology suppliers. Businesses engage with a relevant registered supplier, develop a demonstration project and apply for funding.
- implement an innovative energy efficiency or renewable energy process improvement opportunity themselves. In this case, businesses develop a demonstration project and apply for funding.
To qualify for funding, your project must meet these conditions:
- Reduce energy intensity or greenhouse gas emissions
- Be applicable to multiple businesses in a sector
- Be financially viable, with a reasonable payback period.
In addition, you must meet the following requirements:
- For technology related projects the technology must be commercially available and the technology supplier must be registered with EECA
- For innovative processes projects, any process change must be proven
- You will commit to having your project independently monitored and to promoting the project and outcomes.
Projects must meet minimum cost-effectiveness requirements for energy benefits. Information of current applicable criteria is available on request from EECA. We give priority to technologies that could be used on multiple sites and across sectors.
We will not consider projects that have already started or will happen anyway. We also won't fund projects involving the following:
- small-scale heat pumps (<10 kW)
- residential products
- standard commercial lighting, including LED's and office products
- solar hot water and photovoltaic panels
- electric light passenger vehicles (specialist electric vehicles may be considered)
- wind, hydro and marine electricity generation
- products under research and development.
How to apply
If interested in funding please contact EECA Business.
|If your project involves a registered supplier of a technology:|
|If your project is not based on a technology from a registered supplier:|
Registered technology suppliers
Suppliers of commercially available energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies who wish to register a technology under this programme are requested to contact EECA BUSINESS (email@example.com) in the first instance.