Key tasks for an energy manager
If you’ve been appointed as an energy manager, these are the most important things to focus on.
1 Gain control
- Make sure you’re buying energy as cheaply as possible and using it as efficiently as possible.
- Raise awareness of energy waste with staff – use your business leaders to signal what’s expected of them
- Train staff where necessary to make sure you have the right skills available for your project.
2 Measure your performance
- Compare current and past energy use and costs.
- Focus on what will make the most impact first.
- Continually monitor actions and achievements.
3 Report simply, clearly and relevantly
- Match energy reports with the format and timing of other management reports.
- Keep reports simple.
- Include relevant energy metrics and suitable benchmarks for each audience.
4 Share the glory
- Make sure all the staff who’ve contributed to energy savings get the credit.
5 Promote your achievements
- Publicise your successes to motivate staff and secure further funding.
- Write newsletter articles on successful projects.