There are around 370,000 road lights in New Zealand, and over 4% of these use LED technology as at 30 June 2015. (Source: NZTA)
It is expected that 10% of road lights will use LED technology in 2016.
LEDs have a number of benefits:
- they use very little energy
- they last a very long time
- they reach full brightness instantly
- they more correctly reproduce the colours of an object
- they don't contain mercury or lead
The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) provides funding and advice to support the uptake of LED road lights. An outline of other specific areas of help and advice is available in their circular on road lighting LED conversion programme.