Currently there are around 370,000 road lights in New Zealand. 2% use LED technology, with the rest being HPS lamps.
LEDs have a number of benefits:
- they use very little energy
- they last a very long time
- they reach full brightness instantly
- they more correctly reproduce the colours of an object
- they don't contain mercury or lead
The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) provides funding and advice to support the uptake of LED road lights. An outline of other specific areas of help and advice is available in their circular on road lighting LED conversion programme.